So, what is Cinco de Mayo, you ask? Well, this Webquest is designed to allow you to find that out for yourself as you travel through the internet searching for specific areas relating to El cinco de mayo. Here is the scenario: You are a very important member of Mr. Sajche’s CFFSC Team (Culture Facts For Spanish Class), and you have just been given an assignment to gather all the information you can find about cinco de mayo and present it in a professional manner to the client who requested it. As part of the CFFSC Team you will have a job in one of the following departments: History Hunters, Festive Foods, Modern Music & Moves, Fascinating Facts, and Typical Traditions.
Each department is responsible for completing the following:
Answer the preliminary questions below - (copy and paste the questions below into a Word document and type in your answers; then print out and turn in)
Answer the following questions based on what information you know right now (before doing any research).
1. What is cinco de mayo?
2. What does it celebrate?
3. Who celebrates cinco de mayo?
4. How is cinco de mayo celebrated?
5. List everything else you know about this holiday (prior to doing your research).
Find the requested info below and type up a 1 page summary
History Hunters 1. Who were the following people? - Benito Juarez - Porfirio Diaz - Ignacio Zaragoza - Napoleon III - Maximilian - The Marquis de Radepont 2. What role did each of these people play? 3. What is the biggest misconception about cinco de mayo? 4. What caused the conflict that led to the Battle of Puebla? 5. Explain what happened at the Battle of Puebla. 6. How long did the conflict last and in what year did it end? 7. What was the end result of the conflict?
Festive Foods 1. Explain what the following foods are: - Menudo - Mole - Chorizo - Chilaquiles - Flan 2. Name and describe three typical foods served at Cinco de mayo celebrations. (not including the ones listed above) 3. Mexican food is a mix of what types of food? 4. What are some common staples found in the Mexican diet? 5. What food item accompanies almost every meal? 6. What does the word "taco" really mean? 7. What Mexican foods do we eat in the U.S. today?
Modern Music & Moves 1. What are some common topics in Mexican songs? 2. What is the significance of the "La Cucaracha" song? 3. What is Mariachi music? 4. What kind of instruments are used in Mariachi music? 5. Identify at least two modern-day Mariachi groups and give a few details about each one. 6. What is Tejano music and why is it so popular? 7. What kind of dances are popular in cinco de mayo celebrations?
Fascinating Facts 1. Why is Cinco de mayo significant to all Americans? 2. Other than the Battle of Puebla, what three things does Cinco de mayo celebrate? 3. What was France's excuse for invading Mexico? 4. What now occupies the space that once was the battlefield of Puebla? 5. How many Mexican soldiers and French soldiers were involved in the Battle of Puebla? 6. Why was the initial victory at Puebla important in Mexican history? 7. Name an important Mexican battle cry.
Typical Traditions 1. What can you expect to see in a Cinco de mayo parade? 2. Other than parades, what other activities are common for a Cinco de mayo celebration? 3. How do people in San Diego's Old Town celebrate Cinco de mayo? 4. What type of events are popular in Los Angeles to celebrate Cinco de mayo? 5. Describe the typical costume for Cinco de mayo. 6. Why is Cinco de mayo celebrated on a much larger scale in the U.S.? 7. Name and describe a popular decoration made for this holiday.
1. Assign a job to each person in the group A. One Task Organizer / Leader - this person is in charge of assigning tasks and locating the information for the summary typists; he or she will take notes if needed B. Two Web Explorers - these people will be in charge of operating the computer and searching for the information on-line C. Two Summary Typists - these people will be in charge of typing up the summary and typing the answers to the preliminary questions
2. Answer the preliminary questions listed in the Task section
3. Find the information for your assigned department and present it in summary format.
4. Use the hints below to find information on your assigned topic. Make sure to look for the specifics requested in the Task section.